nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:30:26 -0200

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 9:20 AM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op 15-02-18 om 13:27 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>>
>> Incremental search has been very commented on the past few days but
>> I'm still not sure what still has to be done.
>>
>> I suggest that we start a new thread to come to terms with what
>> exactly is missing so I (since I'm interested in having this feature)
>> can implement it.
>

> Well, we disagree on how it should work when the user types something
> that cannot be found.  You don't seem to have an opinion on this either.
> The least you could do is tell us how you would prefer incremental search
> to behave when the last part of the typed string cannot be found.

Sorry for not participating on the discussion more actively; I was
waiting for some consensus to be reached.

I agree with [1] on unhighlighting the text when something is not
found. That is the same behaviour with gedit. With regards to
errcolor, I would have to wait for it to land before another iteration
of the patch.

Also, I don't think adding another switch to define the behaviour of
the highlight when something is not found is a good idea. I would
leave it out.

> Also, you haven't answered my earlier question: what does it bring that
> you cannot do with a normal search?  Why do you want this feature?

Basically, I like this feature because it allows me to quickly
"navigate" a file. I'm very used to it and, since it is the default
behaviour of Firefox, Chrome and gedit, new users would expect it.
Sometimes I forget how to type the name of a function (for example
when there should be a underscore or not); with incremental search, a
few keystrokes is all I need to find the correct name of a function.

It looks like the problems pointed in [2] are easy to fix, except the
triple click one. My current plan is to wait until the "errcolor"
lands, fix the problems in [2] and send another iteration of the
patch.

Does it seems reasonable?

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2018-02/msg00054.html
[2] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nano-devel/2018-02/msg00060.html