nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Future of incremental search
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:46:20 +0100

Op 16-02-18 om 13:30 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> I agree with [...] unhighlighting the text when something is not
> found.

That is a behavior I do not like.  When the highlight disappears,
I expect it to appear somewhere else.  When it doesn't, I'm confused.
The incremental search of Firefox and Gedit irritate me: I have to
type <Backspace> to see the last highlighted thing again.

> Also, I don't think adding another switch to define the behaviour of
> the highlight when something is not found is a good idea. I would
> leave it out.

Certainly.  There will not be a switch.

> Basically, I like this feature because it allows me to quickly
> "navigate" a file. I'm very used to it and, since it is the default
> behaviour of Firefox, Chrome and gedit, new users would expect it.
> Sometimes I forget how to type the name of a function (for example
> when there should be a underscore or not); with incremental search, a
> few keystrokes is all I need to find the correct name of a function.

If you know the first few characters of a function name, you can type
them and then hit ^] to let nano complete the name.

(Set wordchars in your nanorc to include "_".)

Benno