nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: bind M-Q to 'findprevious' by default?

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: bind M-Q to 'findprevious' by default?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 14:51:19 -0500

Benno Schulenberg:
> I propose to bind M-Q to 'findprevious' by default (and M-W to
> 'findnext').  The Tabs-To-Spaces toggle I propose to move to M-O,
> because I can imagine that some people still want to be able to toggle
> this, but the More-Space toggle will be without any key bound to it by
> default -- I can't think why anyone would want to toggle this now and
> then: either they want the extra editing space and they put 'set
> morespace' in their nanorc, or they are fine with the blank line and
> let it be (and don't want to switch it off because it disturbs their
> usual view).
>
> So... any objections to making this change?  Or anyone who is
> definitely in favor?

Definitely in favor.

The original toggle was because, at the time, there was enough room for
it in terms of available toggles, and because having one for --morespace
mirrored Meta-X for --nohelp.  But your logic fits the current
situation, with its shortcut key shortage; as long as -O/--morespace
remains an option (even if not togglable inside the editor), I'm fine
with the change, since tabs-to-spaces would probably be used much more
often.