nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] marking the entire buffer?

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] marking the entire buffer?
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 14:50:16 -0500

Benn Schulenberg:
> What would it be used for?  Erase the entire buffer?  M-\ M-T. Copy
> the entire buffer?  M-\ M-A M-/ M-6.  The user can make a string bind
> for either if they use it regularly.

I was thinking mostly "copy the entire buffer" for people who use that
(although using that to eventually duplicate the contents of a file
could be more easily accomplished via Ctrl-R), but it was more of a
convenience function in that sense.

Honestly, I don't even use softmark myself if I can avoid it; one
accidental finger twitch that moves the cursor and the mark's gone,
which is sometimes too easily done (and not easily undone, since it
doesn't change the text, which means undo doesn't apply to it).
Conversely, cut-to-eof is something I use fairly often, but it can be
easily undone if I accidentally hit Meta-T (which is uncommon, and much
harder to do than accidentally hitting a movement key without Shift).