nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 14:00:08 -0500

Benno Schulenberg:
> When <Del> deletes a region, then <Bsp> should delete it too, just
> like in other editors where <Del> deletes a region.

Agreed.

Brand Huntsman:
> I use a mixture of mark and shift selections, because marking is
> easier when selecting more than a couple lines. Could there be an
> option to allow marked regions to use it?

I'd be in favor of something like this, actually.  See below.

Benno Schulenberg:
> No.  Either the difference between hard and soft marking causes the
> behavior change, or there is an option that causes the behavior
> change.  Not a mixture of both.

I understand wanting to avoid confusion on the users' part, and keeping
compatibility with Pico and the Pico-style hardmark is important, but
tying this feature entirely to softmarked text seems arbitrary to me.  I
don't use softmark at all, but I'd still find this feature useful
sometimes.

Couldn't a better solution be something like: (1) pressing Backspace or
Delete while text is entirely soft marked erases the marked text; (2)
there's also another keystroke (obviously one that isn't too easy to
hit, despite its being undoable) that erases marked text, regardless of
how the text was marked?