nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 10:49:25 -0500

Benno Schulenberg:
> I don't think this would be a problem, but okay, an option it is.

Thank you.  I know I waffled on hard and soft marking, but the idea of
mixing them does lead to possible inconsistencies.

> No.  The whole point of having the erase function is to be able to
> make <Del> and <Bsp> behave like in other programs (Firefox,
> Thunderbird, Gedit, and so on).  That the user can bind this function
> to some other key when they wish, is just a happy side effect.

So, in short, this function would kick in under three circumstances:
Backspace while marked, Delete while marked, and [other bound key]?  And
the third of these would not exist unless the user specified it?

I would prefer to have some default binding for it, but as long as I'm
not forced to use softmark to use it, the former is not as much of an
issue.

> I would have preferred "wipe", but David's argument against it makes
> sense.  So "erase" is fine.  But, searching for a free one-letter
> option brought -Z, and that made me think of "zap", which might be
> even better.

For the record, -Z/--zap works for me too.