nano-devel

[Nano-devel] using ranger -- and who uses Jami?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] using ranger -- and who uses Jami?
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 18:40:55 +0200

Hi all,

Two things that have nothing to do with nano, but which have kept me
busy for two days.

I don't remember what I was looking at on Wikipedia when I came across
'ranger' -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranger_(file_manager) .

My Xubuntu 18.04 has a package for the 1.8.1 version, so I installed
that.  It's cool!  This is what I've always wanted for a file browser.
It's a bit sluggish, because it's Python, but it's usable.  Now I have
installed the version from git, because I wanted to be able to scroll
the preview column.  I can do that now with Alt+N and Alt+B (see my
config at the bottom), but I would like to be able to do that with
Alt+PageDown and Alt+PageUp.  Is there anyone else who uses ranger
and would like to share how he/she configured and uses it?

The other thing: I have installed GNU Jami (formerly GNU Ring) --
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jami_(software) -- and want to use
that to communicate with a friend.  But before trying to get that
friend to install it, I would like to know for sure that things
on my end are working properly.  Is there anyone here that uses
Jami and would like to initiate a small chat with me to check
that my install works okay?  Please send me a private email.

Cheers,

Benno

-----

Forgot to say: I've also installed 'highlight' because otherwise
the highlighting of the preview column is dead slow (two, three
seconds of delay).  In my ~./bashrc: export HIGHLIGHT_TABWIDTH=4.

The contents of my ~/.config/ranger/rc.conf:

set column_ratios 1,2,5

set draw_borders separators
set display_size_in_status_bar false
set scroll_offset 5

set colorscheme snow

set mouse_enabled false

set hidden_filter \.(bak|gmo|o|pyc|pyo|swp)$

map <A-c> scroll_preview -2
map <A-v> scroll_preview 2

map <A-b> scroll_preview -28
map <A-n> scroll_preview 28