nano-devel

Re: having a scroll bar also in softwrap mode

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: having a scroll bar also in softwrap mode
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 19:07:05 +0200

Op 04-05-2020 om 20:30 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 2:05 PM Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
>> But with your patch,
>> this "thing" is always the same size: one little block.
>
> That is strange and not the experience I have here.

Then you are probably using a huge terminal, with many rows.  Try it on a
terminal with 35 rows, or even 25 rows.  Then look at the README  file.
And first do that with only my patch applied, to see how it should look.

When I switch to a Linux VT, my edit window has 44 rows.  When opening
nano's README file (with your patch applied), the scrollbar thing takes
up only 7 rows.  It should be 25 rows, because 55% of the file's lines
are visible.  When I then type ^V, lines 43 to 80 of the file are shown,
but the scrollbar thing occupies just 2 rows at the bottom, whereas it
should be 21 rows.

Sigh...  It shouldn't be me who needs to explain all this.  *You* should
have compared how nano behaves before and after your patch, with and
without softwrap, *and* on different sized terminals.

(All testing above is without using --softwrap, because I first check
that you didn't break anything.)

Benno