nano-devel

Re: [RFC] Use right top corner to display nano state

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: [RFC] Use right top corner to display nano state
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 16:06:39 -0300

On 5/14/20, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op 10-05-2020 om 19:30 schreef pepa65:
>> I applied the patch to fd70c25d2173aeb2c68d08c60c6f4b4fd4283c87 and
>> added `set showstate` to .nanorc.
>>
>> I like to have this information on-screen when using nano, [...]
>
> But in your next mail you say you would like an option to make the
> title bar disappear.  How do those two things fit together?
>
>> I think having the configuration set up like:
>> set showstates modified,macro,indent,mark,hardwrap
>> (the user can leave out any state they never want to see marked) would
>> give more configurability.
>
> It's easy to think up all kinds of configurability.  But what you
> propose would require a whole bunch of extra code to just parse
> the states to be shown.  That's not going to happen.

I think the only configuration it needs/deserves is one to
enable/disable it. This way people who do not like it can simply not
enable it.

I find the right corner too empty of information, that is why I like
the patch. Using it to display only "Modified" makes me feel that that
space could be better used.