nano-devel

Re: how should dragging work, and is it worth it?

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: how should dragging work, and is it worth it?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2020 11:56:18 -0300

On 5/26/20, Benno Schulenberg <bensberg@telfort.nl> wrote:

> Op 26-05-2020 om 06:31 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
>> I have just implemented the way you described as preferable. During my
>> quick tests it works just like a gui application, the cursor can go
>> offscreen and the screen goes to where it is if it is moved or any
>> char is added.
>>
>> I really think it is worth it.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Benno, do you want me to post my current proof-of-concept quality code
>> for you to test its behavior (and possibly point me to the correct
>> direction with the changes) or should I wait before it is more
>> merge-worthy quality before sending?
>
> I've already answered that: sit on it, improve it.  We're not in
> a hurry.
>
> But... as you said it is big...  The indicator by itself is already
> 100 lines in total.  If dragging requires more than 50 lines extra...
> then let's leave it.

I've got the scrollbar working with drag and clicks on the space not
occupied by the paddle. I still haven't implemented clicking on the
paddle to make it scroll up or down when it has reached upper or lower
limit, but I don't think that is hard to do.

I've got it under 50 lines of code, but the code is not pretty: too
long lines, no helper functions, few comments, few spaces between
lines... I can improve it but it would be even harder to make it under
50 lines.

As an option, I can rebase it to current master and post a very
cleaned up patch. Of course, I'll need your help and guidance to get
it into something merge-worthy.

Are you willing to help me with that?

Off-topic: Thanks for getting the non-persistent M-F patch in.