nano-devel

Re: packaging nano with a skeleton nanorc file

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: packaging nano with a skeleton nanorc file
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 19:39:08 +0200

Op 15-09-2020 om 18:23 schreef Kamil Dudka:
> On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 9:55:09 AM CEST Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>> Op 14-09-2020 om 12:56 schreef Kamil Dudka:
>> Since version 4.6 'hunspell' is the default internal spell checker:
>>
>>   https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/nano.git/commit/?id=4d77e0ad
>
> Thank you for pointing it out!
>
> Should not we update sample.nanorc to reflect it?

I don't think so.  By default, nano uses an "internal" spell-correcting
mechanism: it uses hunspell (or otherwise spell) just to create a list
of misspelled words, and then lets the user do the correcting inside nano
(which also means that each single correction can be undone with an M-U).

But when --speller is specified (or 'set speller' in a nanorc), then the
spelling program also handles the correcting, with whatever menu-driven
method it has.  During the whole correction phase nano is sleeping.
(And an M-U after the corrections undoes all the corrections at once,
because all that nano knows is that one piece of text has been replaced
with another.)

These two different spelling mechanisms we have inherited from Pico.

>>   alias nano="/bin/nano -f /home/user/.nanorc"
>
> So it is possible in the end, although not really intuitive.

True.  I chose -f over something like --skip-global-nanorc because it
is more powerful: it also allows having differently configured nanos
for different tasks, or to quickly test a new syntax without having
to add it to a directory or .nanorc file.

Benno