nano-devel

Re: requesting an option to zap selected text when typing any character

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: requesting an option to zap selected text when typing any character
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 16:25:07 +0100

[Using a good subject line makes it easier to later find things in the
archives.]

Op 10-12-2020 om 14:26 schreef noamso:
> Sorry, i've really tried hard to submit a proper feature request at Savannah,
> but
> couldn't find where.

You submit a "bug report" and put [Wish] at the start of the subject line.

> 1. option to delete selected text when typing anything ('set zapselected')

Has been requested before (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?59048), but will
not happen.  If you really want the "overtype selected text" behavior, you
can apply the attached patch.

> 2. when searching - instead of only set cursor position to first char - select
> the found text entirely.

That would interfere with how the mark currently works: you can set the mark,
search for something, and everything between the mark and the found occurrence
will be marked.  Your desired behavior could then only happen when the mark is
off when the search starts.  It might be worth it making that.  I was already
thinking about highlighting the found match when searching, because just putting
the cursor on the first character is rather poor: not very visible.

Benno