nano-devel

Re: request for marking a search match

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: request for marking a search match
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 19:14:47 +0100

Op 14-12-2020 om 16:35 schreef pepa65:
> With unset showcursor, they both work as supposed.

Good.

> I am always afraid to pull any more recent commits,
> because I have bad experiences with patches no longer applying. Is there
> a way to tell at which point in the repo the patches were supposed to work??

No, there is no way to tell at which point patches were first made.

But one shouldn't apply patches to master, but to a branch.  When you
want to apply some patch(es), you check out a branch from current master
(with -b somename), apply the patch(es), and commit.  Later, when master
has advanced, you check out master, git pull, then check out the somename
branch, then from that branch check out a new branch (say: testing), run
'git rebase master', check whether this patched version still works.  If
yes, then git branch -D somename and git branch -m somename, and you have
effectively rebased the somename branch to master.  If the patched version
no longer functions, then git checkout somename, git branch -D testing,
and git branch -m somename-FINAL to indicate that rebasing is no good.

Benno