nano-devel

Re: a marked search occurrence hinders old habits

From: pepa65
Subject: Re: a marked search occurrence hinders old habits
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 22:05:51 +0700

On 25/01/2021 18.25, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> Op 24-01-2021 om 11:13 schreef pepa65:
>> If I can offer feedback on this: I had to turn it off, because now
>> "delete" no longer deletes the whole line, and it became a nuisance to
>> my muscle-memory. If possible, it would be great to just highlight the
>> search, but NOT select it.
>
> But you wanted it, you said it allowed doing things in a macro that
> otherwise would not be possible.

It is still a powerful feature when needed for macro processing, but it
happens more often that I search for something and then decide I'd like
to delete that whole line, and a 'cut' would then just delete the selection.

Another thing that has happened that I searched for something, found and
had it automatically selected, and I then decided to do a replace -- and
it would only replace in the selection, very annoying as well. So for
general usage not handy, but to toggle it on when needed very powerful.

Peter