nano-devel

Re: things on the minibar are distracting

From: Seb
Subject: Re: things on the minibar are distracting
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2021 14:48:24 +0100 (CET)

Hi Benno,

That would be cool.  But it would be terribly inefficient:

OK. I might have been tempted to ask "What would be the delay for the user?", but since I have been relying these past few weeks on my phone to provide Internet connectivity in the countryside, I'm all for not unnecessarily bumping up draw times...

If ^C is too chatty, why not change ^C? (Although it seems fine for my uses.)
You yourself have said that I should not change old behavior.

Agreed.

I don't really want to argue about what's useful or not; my main point is that to me, flashing numbers are distracting.
Then... do not use --minibar: it apparently doesn't suit you.

Well, yes and no.

As the name "minibar" suggests, the main point of this option seems to be to free up as many lines on the screen as possible. This, I think, interests many people, including me. It's all about real estate and aesthetics.

For some reason, part of the information you included in this minibar is highly technical, interests few people, and even them will rarely make use of it.

Thus the behaviour is currently a strange mix, like a drag-racing mode on a people carrier. What should have been --minibar has become --minibarPOWERUSERHAHAHA :-)

The current design does not seem in line with Nano's usually simple and no-nonsense approach. For instance, an intuitive behaviour for --minibar would be to write on the bottom line exactly what is usually displayed on the top line.

Would there be a middle ground in an rc-setting that would let the user choose the color for "line,column" and "charcode"? I could then set them to the background's color :-)
I do not want any configurability of the minibar.

Then perhaps --minibar on the one hand and --minipowertools on the other?

Whenever you open a file, you get the "Read nnn lines" message; whenever you search for something and it isn't found, you get "Not found"; whenever you make replacements, you get "Replaced nnn occurrences". You don't do any of those things?

Yes, yes, I get them, I just mean that when I type the bottom line is empty.

When reporting that something fails, you also need to provide the command that you used.

Sorry. Noted.

Patching nano-5.5 in its main directory works fine for me:

$ patch -p1 <make-M-C-suppress-the-minibar.patch
patching file src/nano.c
patching file src/winio.c

My bad. Using your command line, the patch is accepted and works.
Thanks!

So that's a way of having nothing on the bottom line. Better yet perhaps would be to have on the bottom line what Nano would show on the top line if called without --minibar?

Kind regards,
Sébastien.