nano-devel

Re: a marked search occurrence hinders old habits

From: ObeliX
Subject: Re: a marked search occurrence hinders old habits
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2021 18:51:49 +0100

Op 25-01-2021 om 12:57 schreef Benno Schulenberg:
Op 25-01-2021 om 12:25 schreef Benno Schulenberg:
Anyway... if I figure out a way to make --markmatch just highlight
a match, the "selecting the match" behavior will be lost.  You cannot
have both.

Attached is a more polished implementation.

I think this should become nano's standard behavior, by default,
without any option to turn it on or off.  Any objections?

just as pro select feedback: I prefer the current behavior where current
match is selected.

reason 1)
most users will use the find function to just find occurrences. in that
case SELECT or HIGHLIGHT does not make a difference.
if you search with the intention to edit, then my guess is, that you
usually want to edit something at that place or the search term itself
and not to delete the whole line. to delete the whole line is IMHO a
quite special case.

reason 2)
in case you search for a term to delete the whole line, current SELECT
behavior only requires one single key stroke (ie. cursor left/right) to
clear selection and one can delete the line.
with HIGHLIGHT behavior by default, one needs to manually re-select the
already highlighted search term to modify it.
so, little effort for line delete with select behavior vs. quite
cumbersome handling for search term modification with highlight
behavior. and as I said in 1), I think search term modification is the
more often used reason for searching something out of the two cases.

so I would vote for current SELECT implementation (or at least have a
config option for it).

Obel