nano-devel

Re: a marked search occurrence hinders old habits

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: a marked search occurrence hinders old habits
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2021 11:28:18 +0100

Op 26-01-2021 om 18:51 schreef ObeliX:
> just as pro select feedback: I prefer the current behavior where current
> match is selected.
>
> reason 1)
> most users will use the find function to just find occurrences. in that
> case SELECT or HIGHLIGHT does not make a difference.
> if you search with the intention to edit, then my guess is, that you
> usually want to edit something at that place or the search term itself

But if I want to, say, delete the first two characters of the searched
text and replace them with something else (with a different something
for each occurrence, so I cannot use Replace), then, with the SELECT
behavior, I first have to do <Left> <Right> and then <Delete> <Delete>,
because I use --zap and an immediate <Delete> would remove the whole
search term.  Four keystrokes instead of two.

> and not to delete the whole line. to delete the whole line is IMHO a
> quite special case.

Normally, I do not want to actually delete the line but /cut/ it, plus
some subsequent lines, and then paste them somewhere else.

> reason 2)
> in case you search for a term to delete the whole line, current SELECT
> behavior only requires one single key stroke (ie. cursor left/right) to
> clear selection and one can delete the line.
> with HIGHLIGHT behavior by default, one needs to manually re-select the
> already highlighted search term to modify it.

Selecting the search term is often a simple <Ctrl+Shift+Right> (with
the advantage that the subsequent space is selected too).  Which is
also just one keystroke.

Benno