nano-devel

Re: RFC: enable ^Z by default?

From: Seb
Subject: Re: RFC: enable ^Z by default?
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 15:16:20 +0100 (CET)

Hi Benno,

I want ^T^Z to work by default; no option or enabling or toggling should be required. And I agree that ^Z should do nothing by default. So... simply unbind it and leave it up to the user to put a 'bind ^Z' in their .nanorc? With suggestions to make this binding in the manual pages and sample rc?

I think it might be best to keep ^Z not bound to anything.

Users familiar with the command line are thus be less surprised than if Nano did something to their text. Besides, should they wish to "set suspend" in the config file, ^Z should not already be used for something else. I can't imagine suspension being triggered by any key combination but ^Z.

Perhaps pressing ^Z could display a message such as
        To enable ^Z to suspend, add "set suspend" to ~/.nanorc
instead of
        Suspension is not enabled

Seb.

PS: in my .nanorc I use ^Z to match brackets.