nano-devel

Re: RFC: enable ^Z by default?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: RFC: enable ^Z by default?
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2021 09:32:17 +0100

Op 04-11-2021 om 15:16 schreef Seb:
> I think it might be best to keep ^Z not bound to anything.
>
> Users familiar with the command line are thus be less surprised than if Nano
> did something to their text.

???  There are no plans to bind ^Z to anything else.

> Besides, should they wish to "set suspend" in the config file, ^Z should not
> already be used for something else.

The 'set suspend' option is gone.  Or rather: it is ignored, it does nothing,
it is a no-op.  (In current git, that is.)

> I can't imagine suspension being triggered by
> any key combination but ^Z.

Well...  In joe it is bound to ^K^Z (a plain ^Z steps back a word), and in nano
by default to ^T^Z.  I can imagine some user wanting to bind it to Shift+Alt+S.

> Perhaps pressing ^Z could display a message such as
>     To enable ^Z to suspend, add "set suspend" to ~/.nanorc

Hm.  Mentioning ~/.nanorc in a feedback message is kind of ugly, also because
the user's nanorc might be located somewhere else.  And since 'set suspend' is
gone, it would have to be "bind ^Z suspend main".  That becomes too verbose,
and runs the risk of translators translating words that shouldn't be translated.

Furthermore, the user would have to exit from nano in order to make that change.
But if they typed ^Z with the intent to suspend nano, they precisely do /not/
want to exit from nano -- they wish to suspend it.  And they can achieve that.
It takes just one extra keystroke: Ctrl+T Ctrl+Z.

So how about the following feedback when typing ^Z in a default setup:

    [ To suspend, type ^T^Z ]

Benno