nano-devel

Re: Website improvements and source code

From: matteo_luigi_raso
Subject: Re: Website improvements and source code
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:02:32 +0000

>First: nano-editor is not a website; nano-editor.org is

Yes, that's what I meant.

>Second:
>what on earth do you mean with "can't open"?
>*What* *precisely* does Firefox actually say?

Copy-and-pasted:
Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to nano-editor.org.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy.
Try again in a few moments. If you are unable to load any pages,
check your computer’s network connection. If your computer or
network is protected by a firewall or proxy,
make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.

I pinged the website to make sure that it wasn't a network
issue, so it's probably because of the HTML.

>That's a relatively old browser

True, but I don't see why that matters. Websites have to make
sure they can be used by old browsers.

>And what does the search engine have to with it?
>Surely you're not trying to access nano-editor.org
>through the search engine?

I added it for completeness, just in case.
Anyways, I think this is getting a little off-topic.
The fact of the matter is, there's clearly some issue
in trying to access the website, and even if it doesn't
turn out to be because of the HTML, the code you use is
depreciated and could become a problem for others at any time.
If you don't want to fix it yourself, there's other people in this
thread who'll offer up a patch if you publicly release the code.
(How come the code isn't already publicly available? That's what
GNU Octave does, and I think most other GNU projects as well).