oath-toolkit-help

Re: oathtool make target without for API manuals?

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: oathtool make target without for API manuals?
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 12:28:27 +0200

"Paul W. Rankin" via OATH Toolkit general discussions
<oath-toolkit-help@nongnu.org> writes:

>> On 14 Apr 2021, at 11:34 pm, Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org> wrote:
>>
>>> cd
>>> /Users/pwr/Developer/pkgsrc/security/oath-toolkit/work/oath-toolkit-2.4.1
>>> && autoreconf -fi
>>
>> Why invoke autoreconf?  Read INSTALL for installation instructions.
>> Normally you unpack the tarball, invoke ./configure and then make.
>> Anything else is not a normal installation, and to run autoreconf you
>> need the developer tools (see HACKING).
>
> Thanks! Yes the issue was wholly with some odd choices Pkgsrc have
> made. I had stupidly tried first building from git master (i.e. no
> prebuilt configure file) but building from the tarball source works
> first try.
>
> I've submitted a patch to Pkgsrc to hopefully clean up their Makefile.
>
> Thanks for all your help.

Thank you for helping packaging oath-toolkit!  Whether to build from
tarballs or version controlled sources, and whether to attempt to
re-bootstrap the sources using autoreconf or not, can be controversial
decisions in some projects.  I don't care strongly, but right now
gtk-doc is optional for tarballs but required when building from
sources.  Improving that is welcome, but IMHO should be done through the
gtk-doc-tools project so we don't introduce a new set of bugs.

/Simon