octal-dev

[Octal-dev] porting thoughts

From: Dave O'Toole
Subject: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 20:08:57 -0400

This isn't a primary goal, but I think it would be very nice to have
ports of OCTAL to other operating systems. This is a few months away
(GUI work is starting probably tomorrow) but I think it would be good to
discuss it now.

I see several scenarios for world domination.

1. Since GTK+ is working on windows and beos, OCTAL can be ported to
both. (Someone already did a quickie port of an older version to Win32,
but as there is no GUI or threading code yet anyway, this was probably
deceptively easy.)

But I'm not sure just how well GTK+ is working on other operating
systems. I know at least some of it is working; i have seen screenshots
of the Gimp running in Win32. Does anyone have experience doing this?
What's working, and what's not? How's the stability?

2. The GUI is rewritten for those other operating systems. This sounds
like a big time-waster if there are ways to port instead, but if people
who are expert in programming those GUI's can help out this would go
much more quickly.

Let me know what you think.

--
@@@ david o'toole