octal-dev

Re[2]: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts

From: ccastiglione
Subject: Re[2]: [Octal-dev] porting thoughts
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:26:10 -0400

>Needless to say, it's difficult to start porting an app that doesn't
>fully exist.

:)

> Having the core run on one machine while the interface runs on another
> ... sounds "wow, cool!" but it isn't clear how useful this would be

Nah, I was thinking of the client-server approach only from the point of view of
maintaining port flexibility.  The potential of running across a network was
just a side effect with a high gee-whiz factor.

> Thankfully there are other ways of decoupling GUI code from DSP code
> than just going client-server. ...

Gotcha...like I said before, the worst thing to do would be to derail the
current project due to a design tangent predicated on a (less crucial) goal  of
future portability.  I was just throwing out some ideas for discussion.