Install bug?

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Install bug?
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 20:50:50 -0500 (CDT)

On  4-May-1998, Chuck Robey <address@hidden> wrote:

| I needed to make a couple of changes to get things working.  First, it
| found, via uname, that I run FreeBSD(current, version 3.0), but
| FreeBSD-3.0 is not among those numbers that you search for
| automatically, so it rejects building shared libraries on a platform
| that has always been using them.  I changed the configuration arguments
| so that --host=i386-unknown-freebsd is added as a configuration flag,
| but it would be better to change the configuration script so that it
| seeks FreeBSD-* instead of a version number.

I don't understand what configuration file is at fault.  In
configure.in, I look at

  case "$canonical_host_type" in
    *-*-386bsd* | *-*-openbsd* | *-*-netbsd* | *-*-freebsd*)

If you mean that config.guess or config.sub is doing the wrong thing,
can you explain exactly what needs to be fixed?  What does
config.guess return on your system so that it doesn't match the above
pattern?