Re: Install bug?

From: Chuck Robey
Subject: Re: Install bug?
Date: Mon, 4 May 1998 21:44:31 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 May 1998, John W. Eaton wrote:

> On  4-May-1998, Chuck Robey <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I needed to make a couple of changes to get things working.  First, it
> | found, via uname, that I run FreeBSD(current, version 3.0), but
> | FreeBSD-3.0 is not among those numbers that you search for
> | automatically, so it rejects building shared libraries on a platform
> | that has always been using them.  I changed the configuration arguments
> | so that --host=i386-unknown-freebsd is added as a configuration flag,
> | but it would be better to change the configuration script so that it
> | seeks FreeBSD-* instead of a version number.
>
> I don't understand what configuration file is at fault.  In
> configure.in, I look at
>
>   case "$canonical_host_type" in
>     *-*-386bsd* | *-*-openbsd* | *-*-netbsd* | *-*-freebsd*)
>
> If you mean that config.guess or config.sub is doing the wrong thing,
> can you explain exactly what needs to be fixed?  What does
> config.guess return on your system so that it doesn't match the above
> pattern?

You're right ... I did an evil thing, I assumed it was still the correct
bug.  Something is refusing to build shared libs (according to the
output of configure) unless I toss in that and --enable-shared.  The
last is usually a default, so I _assumed_ it couldn't be the trouble,
and simply tossed it in (as a flag) as being generally good practice.

Oh, I see.  It's not a default.  Never seen that before.  Sorry, that
was my fault.  Port is complete now, thanks.

address@hidden         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).