Re: Octave 2.2.x Was: A group in Norway ...

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Octave 2.2.x Was: A group in Norway ...
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 14:06:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:
> The job will mean following the bugs list and being able to apply
> changes (sometimes by hand because patches for the development sources
> won't work for the stable sources).

OK.

> If you really want to do this, then we need to decide what should go
> in a 2.2.0 release.

Here was your 3.0 list:
  * some support for MPI
  * N-dimensional arrays
  * sparse matrices
  * clean up the load-save mess
  * extend cell arrays, struct arrays, and function handles to be N-d
  * finish implementation of cell arrays and struct arrays:
  * [ ... ] should concatenate array-like objects other than matrices
  * inline functions
  * private functions
  * bring the manual up to date

The big question is: "how far out is 3.0?"
If 3.0 is a year or more out (realistically), then I suggest we
do the easy and essential stuff, and leave the rest for 3.0.

My ratings:

Easy (by taking the octave-forge implementation)
  * sparse matrices
  * inline functions (octave-forge has a "hack", but adequate)

Essential
  * clean up the load-save mess
  * bring the manual up to date (this can be done during
     the 2.2.x series)

Andy