Re: Octave web pages

From: Bill Denney
Subject: Re: Octave web pages
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:41:20 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, John W. Eaton wrote:

So you would substitute Perl for the M4 scripts?

Well, when you say it that way, you're right, it does sound pretty silly.

I think I would prefer something simple, that anyone who knows a little HTML can edit, over something that uses external tools, even if that means some duplication in the HTML files.

That does make sense.

Redesigning the pages is OK, but I would first like to get the current
pages converted to plain and simple HTML+CSS and checked in to the
savannah CVS archive.  Then we can worry about updating the
appearance.

OK, well a first attempt is here (starting from m4 macros): http://denney.homeip.net/octave-www/octave.html

It's running on my home computer so it may be a tad slow downloading. There is still work to do in minimizing the number of tables, etc., but there are no colors and I think I took out most if not all the <font> tags. I'll fiddle with it more later tonight, and maybe it will be a good starting point for the future pages.

Bill

--
"Instead of torturing the on-air talent, torture kittens. While not
eliminating pledge drives, this would significantly shorten their length.