Re: Octave MinGW yet?

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave MinGW yet?
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 21:45:23 +0100

Without taking into account the dependent libraries of octave that I have to go through and figure out what to throw out I have at the moment

msys/mingw base ~12MB
gnuplot ~6MB
octave ~71MB
octave-forge  (don't know at the moment but suspect about 50 to 100MB)

So even just that is well over 100MB. As for the dependent libraries there likely to be 50 to 100MB that I can't throw away. So the minimum build with all of octave and octave forge and all dependencies will be betwen 200 and 300MB. Adding 100MB extra for the compilers doesn't seem like a big thing to me in that context.

You also have to understand who my target audience for this thing is. Basically, its people like Sebastien who'd like to put an IDE on it. At least this is the primary audience in the first instance.

Finally, hey guys disk is cheap.. Why penalize the user with reduced functionality when you don't have to...

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary