octave gset, graw

From: Volker Kuhlmann
Subject: octave gset, graw
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:09:48 -0600

I need to re-run some octave code which I developed 2 years ago, but get
informed that these functions are marked for removal:

  warning: gset is deprecated and will be removed from a future
  warning: version of Octave.
  warning: You should use the higher-level plot functions
  warning: ("plot", "mesh", "semilogx", etc.) instead
  warning: of the low-level plotting commands.
  warning: If you absolutely must use this function, use the
  warning: internal version __gnuplot_set__ instead.

Dito graw. Octave 2.1.71, SUSE 10.0.

One of the nice things of octave for me was that I can make it create
plots with the same visual appearance as I get from gnuplot directly,
thus allowing me to use a multitude of plot sources without getting an
optical potpourri throughout the document.

Yes I'd love to "use higher-level plot functions". How do I control
ticscales, location of the legend, and similar things with octave's
plot()? I created a general gnuplot initialisation file which I use with
gnuplot, and which I also read into octave and pass on with graw. Minor
adjustments then done with gset. Brilliant system. Ok gnuplot isn't what
one might call user friendly, but then neither is matlab's idiotic plot
tuning.

The info docs still say to use gset/gshow/etc, but help gset barfs
instead of telling me where to continue. It is not helpful to remove
documentation before the equivalent functionality is implemented in a
(presumably) better way. The manual and FAQ are dated 1998 - no help
there.

Please don't remove the mechanism to tune the plot output before
providing something better.

Thanks + greetings,

Volker  (please cc me any replies!)

--