Re: distributed version control

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: distributed version control
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:38:56 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
> Now that 3.0 is out, and with more people than ever before
> contributing patches to the Octave sources, I think now might be a
> good time to consider switching from CVS to a more modern version
> control system.
>
> If we look at requirements, I think they are
>
>   * Must have features of a modern VCS:  atomic commits, easily remove
>     entire changesets, track filename changes, offline usage, etc.
>
>   * Must allow individual developers to easily create a branch in
>     their own private repository, check in new files, delete files,
>     rename files, etc., then publish those changes in a way that is
>     simple for others to integrate.
>
>   * Must work on and be relatively easy to install on Windows, OS X,
>     and Unixy systems.
>
>   * Must provide a way to publish repository online via a web
>     interface with minimal effort (I'd like to retire the chroot cvs
>     server that I'm currently running).
>
>   * Acceptable to our community of developers -- how will it change
>     the way we work on Octave?  Will it make things better?  For
>     example, I find myself spending more and more time just checking
>     in changes.  I'd prefer to be able to pull changes from other
>     repositories rather than having to run patch all the time.  I'm
>     assuming that by pulling in changes from a repository, I would not
>     have to remember to "cvs add" new files, or "cvs delete" files
>     that have been removed.

One thing I love about SVN and I hope any future version control system
for Octave will have is a means of checking out and committing through
https. This allows a transparent pass through of any corporate firewall
and make the life of anyone developing code behind one much easier. The
conversation in this thread doesn't seem to address whether any of the
proposed tools has this capability or not.

Regards
David

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only