Re: distributed version control

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: distributed version control
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 14:42:23 -0500

On 16-Jan-2008, tarmigan wrote:

| On Jan 16, 2008 2:33 PM, tarmigan wrote:
| > I don't know the size
| > of the repository off the top of my head, but I will check tonight.
|
| OK, I just did a git-repack to compress the repository, and the entire
| octave cvs history is 28M in git.  For reference the checked out files
| for octave are 28M and the 3.0.0.tar.gz is 10.7M.

Can you tell me precisely how you converted the Octave CVS archive to
git?

Yesterday, I wrote:

| I tried "hg convert" on the Octave CVS archive and it did not seem to
| work properly.  Now I'm trying to do a cvs -> svn -> hg conversion to
| see if that works any better.  But I'm a novice here, so I'm not sure
| I'm doing all the right things.

Soon after I wrote that, I ran cvs2svn on the archive, and that worked
relatively quickly.  Then I started an hg convert process on that and
after around 20 hours it is still running.  It seems to be taking a
long time to process every tag in the archive, and it seems to be
generating a separate set of files (at around 50MB) for each one.  I
don't know why it is doing this, as it seems a tag should be nothing
more than a symbolic name for a particular revision.

Has anyone here tried converting the Octave CVS archive to hg?  If
not, has anyone here converted other CVS archives to hg?  If so, how?

Thanks,