Re: Using Javascript and Browsers for Octave UI- Any Interest?

From: BrowseOct
Subject: Re: Using Javascript and Browsers for Octave UI- Any Interest?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 07:47:39 -0800 (PST)

Seeking feedback...
Before I commit any more effort into developing a GUI - pipe (non web) from
javascript supporting html browsers, Is there any interest? Also should the
package emulate the jHandles GUI?

What's required
Required is a browser that has a standard out (STDOUT) and Javascript -
Firefox 1+, IE 4+, Netscape 3+.

What's not required - a web server and a binding

1) User creates an ordinary HTML form which responds to a javascript event
or windows close.
2) A script (windows cscript or linux shell script) that opens the browser
and captures form object values as STDOUT

How it works
1) Matlab/Octave/Freemat opens the script with a pipe (popen) or system call
2) The shell script opens the browser piping output to the shell, which
makes it available to octave.
3) The matlab user reads the pipe (async) or System (modal), retrieving data
from the HTML form when events write to the pipe.
4) user closes the pipe when done.

Why do it?
Well, reasons may include that some components are browser based interfaces,
and users can access web services with javascript that need this UI face.
HTML forms are simple to create and manage. The use of STDIN and STDOUT in a
pipe or file design pattern is common to the octave interface. Octave help
is HTML based. Also code developed can be moved into an apache webserver. No
C code to maintain

Why not do it? Browsers are often slow and very non interactive. Status
updates are more complex. Not a standard binding approach for a language.
Platform and browser aware config is required in the install/use.

Still I will be using it to access a .NET web control.