Re: Further on MEX

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Further on MEX
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 22:22:23 +0100

John W. Eaton wrote:
On  7-Jan-2009, David Bateman wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On  7-Jan-2009, David Bateman wrote:
| >
| > | Better to go for a fully matlab compatible MEX ABI | > | and fall under the same argument as distribution of MEX code as source | > | code.. That is of course if we can't just consider that the current | > | Octave MEX ABI isn't already separate enough from Octave and closer to | > | matlab that it doesn't already fall under the same argument.
| >
| > What do you mean by ABI?  Do you mean that we should change Octave so
| > that a MEX file built with Matlab can run in Octave?

Yes, I know, but I wanted to know what you specifically meant with
regard to Octave.  At what level of detail?  Do you expect Octave to
be able to be able to run a MEX file compiled with (any version of)
Matlab?  Do you expect Matlab to be able to run a MEX file compiled
with Octave?  I'm not sure that is practical.  That seems like one of
the areas where compatibility is just too much of a PITA.
That would be a nice goal and the ultimate proof that the MEX ABI can't be under the GPL. I suppose we should try for it, but I'd say its a where is becomes too much of a PITA we don't bother..

D.

35 rue Gambetta                              +33 1 46 04 02 18 (Home)
92100 Boulogne-Billancourt FRANCE            +33 6 72 01 06 33 (Mob)