Re: updated print.m

From: Ben Abbott
Subject: Re: updated print.m
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 21:07:28 -0400

On Apr 20, 2009, at 8:19 PM, Michael D. Godfrey wrote:

Ben wrote:
Michael (others), as you have some experience with gs, can you tell me if it is possible for gs to use the bounding box to crop the image. Thus producing a bitmap whose size is that of the bounding box?

Here are some pointers:

1. From the online doc:
EPS parameters

-dEPSCrop
Crop an EPS file to the bounding box. This is useful when converting an EPS file to a bitmap.

-dEPSFitPage
Resize an EPS file to fit the page. This is useful for enlarging an EPS file to fit the paper size when printing.

-dNOEPS
Prevent special processing of EPS files. This is useful when EPS files have incorrect Document Structuring Convention comments.

This came from the EPS section of:
http://ghostscript.com/doc/8.54/Use.htm

This is a good place to start to "learn all about it."
There is lots of documentation, and lots of switches/options. maybe more than are
really needed, but GhostScript has been around for a very long time...

Enjoy!

Michael

Thanks Michael.

I noticed that converting an eps-file to a bitmap does not give the same result as printing a bitmap.

Consider the example ...

        figure (1)
        clf
        plot (1:10)
        set (gca, "fontsize", 12)
        xlabel ("my xlabel")
        ylabel ("my ylabel")
        title ("my title")
        print (gcf, "-djpeg", "test.jpeg")
        print (gcf, "-deps", "test.eps")
system ("gs -r150 -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=test_gs.jpeg -dEPSCrop - dBATCH test.eps")

The quality of the converted jpeg is degraded and the fontsize is different. If the fontsize is increased by 50%, then the proper size is obtained (I may be off by a point or two).

        set (0, "showhiddenhandles", "on")
        set (findobj (gca, "-property", "fontsize"), "fontsize", 18)
        print (gcf, "-deps", "test.eps")
system ("gs -r150 -sDEVICE=jpeg -sOutputFile=test_gs.jpeg -dEPSCrop - dBATCH test.eps")

I expect the same behavior occurs when using ImageMagick, but thought I should mention it now so it doesn't surprise anyone.

Regarding using gs, the ability to crop to the bounding box would be useful if applied to all ps output. Presently, the bounding box is 50pts inside the pagesize. Which (depending upon the ps interpreterer) can result in cropping the image.

If gs is used, we can render a page 100pts wider and taller than desired and then crop it to the proper size. This would mean that gs would be a necessary run time dependency (is it already?).

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

I'll try to put together a quick changeset tomorrow (or maybe the next).

Ben