Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 18:48:48 +0200

Another organizational point is that you currently have all the Qt
code in gui.  I think maybe it should be in gui/qt instead, since we
may eventually have another GUI based on a different toolkit.  Longer
term, it seems to me that it would be nice to abstract as much of the
interface as possible so as to make it easier to swap out the toolkit
later if that is needed.

Qt is not a GUI toolkit. The GUI toolkit is just a part of Qt, along with the Networking, Scripting, Xml, Core, Plugin (platform-independent handling of shared libraries) and plenty of other modules. I think your message was based on the thought that Qt is just a GUI toolkit, but in fact it is not. See a full list of Qt modules here: http://doc.qt.nokia.com/latest/modules.html . It would be quite strange to have Qt available and exclude wide parts of it simultaneously. Also, switching to another GUI toolkit can be considered as a step back. Qt is GPL, so there is nothing to fear from.

--
Software Development == Church Development
Step 1. Build it.

Whitespace - the most ink saving programming language: http://compsoc.dur.ac.uk/whitespace/index.php .