Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Integrating Quint into the Octave sources
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 12:15:44 -0400

On 19-Apr-2011, Judd Storrs wrote:

| On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
|
|     Of course, if you
|     start Octave with -qf when writing shebang scripts as recommended in
|     the manual, then the .octaverc files are skipped anyway, so the potential
|     problem of running any GUI-specific commands there is avoided.
|

| Off topic, but I often use "#!/usr/bin/env octave" to launch octave so that I
| can switch octave versions by changing path. I was never able to figure out
how
| to send -qf to octave via env.

The problem is not with env, but with the way some systems parse the
shebang line.  If you write

  #! /usr/bin/env octave -qf

The system will invoke env with "octave -qf" as one parameter and
there is no program named "octave -qf" so the execution fails.

One way to get around this problem is to use an intermediate shell
script that passes the arguments you want to the real Octave:

  #! /bin/sh
  /usr/bin/env octave -qf

and put it somewhere in your path.  Then you can start your Octave
scripts with

  #! /usr/bin/env myoctave