Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: why is the wiki page on building octave so lacking?
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:57:01 -0400

On 16 March 2012 11:33, Richard Crozier <address@hidden> wrote:
> On the page main 'Appendix G Installing Octave' I would consider adding
> a little introduction outlining the steps used to build Octave before
> launching straight into the links to specific sections.

This sounds good. Please write it. I'll add it to the manual.

> On the tips for specific systems page, I would not launch straight
> into
>
> "The names of pre-compiled packages vary by system and do not always
> match exactly the names listed above."
>
> (they're actually listed below, or rather up and then down again on
> another page).
> Perhaps instead say something like:
>
> "On some systems you can obtain many of Octave's build dependencies
> automatically. The commands for doing this vary by system.
> Similarly, the names of pre-compiled packages vary by system and do
> not always match exactly the names listed in <Build Tools> and
> <External Packages>."

Thanks, I've fixed this:

    http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/octave/rev/3d628878e109

> I would also rename this link to 'Obtaining the Dependencies
> Automatically', as actually, this is what the page is about, you
> just can't do it on all systems.

Also done this in the same cset.

> Another thing I would suggest is restricting the width of a page of
> text.

Don't maximise your browser window. Or read the PDF version instead:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/octave.pdf

Or we can modify the CSS so that the HTML manual's lines aren't so
long. I have done just that. Please look at the HTML manual again and
tell me if that's better.

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.