Re: GUI design

From: Jacob Dawid
Subject: Re: GUI design
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:36:31 +0100

I am sorry to say that, but I think that all the discussion about the GUI is complete non-sense. A GUI is simply a different way to access octave's functionality that integrates better with the ideas and concepts that a state-of-the-art program has to have. What I don't understand is that people are so afraid of using something different than their vi or emacs or whatever they are used to.

Can you click in the terminal and modify a matrix visually, by clicking a cell and simply changing the content? No, you can't. Can you type and - while you type - sort the history in a list, then simply click the command and it will be inserted into the terminal? No, you can't. Sure, you can find different ways to do that, but in the end, a GUI offers many possiblities.

We're in the era of touchscreens and still fiddle with pseudo GUIs in terminals and editors like vi and emacs that simply look terrible and are a nightmare to use.