Re: Matlab quirks

From: Miguel Bazdresch
Subject: Re: Matlab quirks
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 21:18:10 -0600

On 03/26/2012 10:19 AM, Rik wrote:
On 03/26/2012 06:41 AM, address@hidden wrote:
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 21:45:06 -0600
From: Miguel Bazdresch<address@hidden>
To: ahowe42<address@hidden>
Cc:address@hidden
Subject: Re: bin2dec behavior different from Matlab?

Also, it would sound bad to tell them not to use 'num2str' because, you
know, it has some quirks (and Matlab, by the way, does not).

This isn't true. Matlab has lots of quirks. Only because they are the
800 pound gorilla in this space is their behavior accepted as the norm
rather than being seen as difficult or obtuse. This thread began because
bin2dec in Octave was treating spaces differently than Matlab. But
Matlab itself has flipped and flopped on the desired behavior.

<snip>

So Octave was compatible with Matlab, then Matlab changed their behavior
and Octave became incompatible, and now Octave has been modified to
restore compatibility. There was never any quirkiness or bad programming
in Octave on this issue.

--Rik

I see that I was careless in what I wrote, and I implied things I didn't mean to. I apologize for that.

What I meant to say is this: the unexpected difference between Matlab and Octave's num2str caused a lot of grief to some of my students. They did a large project, tested it on Matlab, but I couldn't reproduce their results. It took some digging on my part to find the problem, and meanwhile their grades were in suspense.

Students talk among themselves, and I seem to notice that in this particular case Octave's reputation was somewhat tarnished. For the first time in several years, I have seen more students switch to Matlab than the inverse (usually less than 30% of my students use Octave at the start of the class, but 80% to 90% use it by the end of the semester).

By "a quirk in Octave", I meant it was perceived as such by the students, since Matlab's behavior made more sense in their eyes. Octave was "guilty" that their grades were at risk. I have explained the problem to the students, and some seem impressed that I could report the problem and people immediately started to work on it (thanks guys!), but some remain unconvinced on Octave's trustworthiness, despite my efforts.

I hope I'm being clearer this time; especially I hope it's clear I meant no offense to the development team.

--
Miguel Bazdresch