Re: Matlab quirks

From: Miguel Bazdresch
Subject: Re: Matlab quirks
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 15:32:38 -0600

On 03/27/2012 12:19 AM, ahowe42 wrote:
Miguel

Your comments about students converting from MATLAB to octave are
interesting.  I have an acquaintance on the Mathworks development team, and
recently asked him about the challenge from octave.  He basically said it
wasn't a concern.  In general, how many students a year would you say you
see convert to octave?

I wish I could have Stanford's reach... in courses I personally teach, or in courses I'm responsible for, I have about 90 students a year. As I said before, I estimate that some 80% of them prefer Octave to Matlab by the time the courses are over.

By the way, last year I presented a poster at the IEEE Signal Processing Education Workshop, and I was surprised at how many teachers there were supportive of open source in general and Octave in particular.

--
Miguel Bazdresch