Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: Can we freely use AMOS in Octave?
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 10:18:07 -0400

Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 10 August 2012 13:14, Steven G. Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <jordigh <at> octave.org> writes:
As jwe and Dima Sergatskov have pointed out to me privately, Matlab
is using the same library, so I'd be kinda surprised if this turned
out to be a problem.
Unfortunately, Mathworks could easily have purchased a commercial license
from ACM.

I kinda doubt it. TMW has played fast and loose with licenses in the
past (e.g. accepting code into Matlab Central for many years with no
clear license given, just like the Amos code itself), and the Amos
code is far enough in the past that it would be consistent with this
treatment.

Matlab Central is a different situation; thanks to the safe-harbor provisions of the DMCA, they aren't responsible for policing user-uploaded content, just for taking it down if there is a complaint.

I seriously doubt that Mathworks doesn't legal counsel scrutinizing the copyright and license terms of all code that ships in Matlab. I have dealt with their licensing people personally in the past, and they definitely purchase licenses to third-party code.

Let's wait for the ACM response before we decide to do anything. This
may be all be a very minor thing.

PS. I hope remembered to refer to "TOMS Algorithm 644" in your email; ACM wouldn't know the code under the name of "AMOS".