Re: error building GUI on Mac OS-X 10.6.8

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: error building GUI on Mac OS-X 10.6.8
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 14:26:12 -0500

On 08/12/2012 09:46 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 12-Aug-2012, Ben Abbott wrote:

| You are correct, I've been building in my source tree.  How do I set up a
build tree?

Create a new directory and cd to it.  Then run

   /your/octave/source/directory/configure

in your build directory.  That will create all the subdirectories and
Makefiles in the build tree.

jwe

Might there be a good reason to add an option for the build directory to the configure script? Patterning after this:

Fine tuning of the installation directories:
  --bindir=DIR            user executables [EPREFIX/bin]
  --sbindir=DIR           system admin executables [EPREFIX/sbin]

for example:

--builddir=DIR           object and libraries

It's essentially the same as doing a

mkdir ../DIR
cd ../DIR
../octave/configure OTHER_OPTS
cd ../octave

Or something like that. By having this as an option, it lets people know that a separate build directory can be done, and it might be useful down the road to someone who wants to build a generic script or something.

Dan