Re: Built-in base2dec and dec2base

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Built-in base2dec and dec2base
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 01:36:31 -0500

On 08/20/2012 12:41 AM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 19-Aug-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

| I've gone over the builtin base2dec/dec2base code and created a second
| version of the patch file.

I'm not sure that it is worth making these changes in core Octave.
Yes, performance is improved, but at the cost of code that is more
difficult to debug and maintain.

Think it over. I thought it worth pursuing even as I continued programming, and I really didn't put too much effort into it even with having started with no knowledge of the ov class members. Sometimes when attempting a C++ coding feature it begins to feel not worth it. But in this case, I thought the routines were fairly straightforward and easy to debug. In some ways, doing the programming in C is easier than trying to optimize in m-files because there is more flexibility. base2dec is used by bin2dec and hex2dec, so that makes it a good candidate for optimization.

Dan