Re: Built-in base2dec and dec2base

From: Rik
Subject: Re: Built-in base2dec and dec2base
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:42:17 -0700

On 08/19/2012 10:41 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 19-Aug-2012, Daniel J Sebald wrote:
>
> | I've gone over the builtin base2dec/dec2base code and created a second
> | version of the patch file.
>
> I'm not sure that it is worth making these changes in core Octave.
> Yes, performance is improved, but at the cost of code that is more
> difficult to debug and maintain.
8/20/12

Daniel,

I will definitely take a look at your code, but I can only promise that
I'll get to it before we make a new release.  I'm busy with real life
projects and my Octave time is currently going towards the build system and
the directory structure.

As a further datapoint in the discussion, the m-file code I wrote is very
specifically oriented towards performance and is reasonably opaque
(although short).  Something in C++ might actually be clearer and more
straightforward since one can just use a loop where a loop makes sense
instead of employing the contortions I did to eliminate them.

--Rik