Re: GUI starts up with terminal

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GUI starts up with terminal
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 13:06:12 -0400

On 23-Aug-2012, Philip Nienhuis wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > On 23-Aug-2012, Philip Nienhuis wrote:
| >
| > | Before reporting as bug, just some inquiry:
| > |
| > | address@hidden ~] uname -a
| > | Linux jvc741 3.3.6-desktop-2.mga2 #1 SMP Thu May 17 16:49:59 UTC 2012 i686
| > | i686 i386 GNU/Linux
| > |
| > | (Mageia 2 w. LXDE wm)
| > |
| > | hg summary
| > | parent: 15203:aa7f4e33c524
| > | (IIRC tip of last Sunday)
| > |
| > | "terminal".
| > | Indeed, first an LXterminal pops up, including some messages about
shadowing
| > | etc; after a few seconds the GUI takes over.
| > | Intriguingly, the usual startup screen lines of Octave (GNU Octave,
version
| > | 3.7.0+, Copyright etc) are shown in the GUI terminal.
| > | The LXterminal doesn't go away. I do have to close it manually.
| > |
| > | Is this expected behavior?
| >
| > No.
|
| That's what I figured.
| BTW I was incorrect in mentioning the Start Menu (there's no functional
| menu editor in LXDE, AFAIK). It's the desktop "link" that needs a
| terminal. Also, "Run" on the start menu won't start up Octave.
|
| So, I cannot start Octave outside a terminal. Question is: is it due to
| my OS (Linux Mageia w LXDE) or is it an Octave GUI bug?

I suspect it is the way we are starting the GUI.  Before it starts, we
want to do some things like process options so we can handle options
like --no-gui.  The things we do early on to handle options and start
up the interpreter shouldn't depend on having a terminal, but maybe
they do.  If so, we need to re-think the way Octave initialization is
done.