Re: GUI starts up with terminal

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: GUI starts up with terminal
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2012 13:21:03 -0400

On 24-Aug-2012, Michael Goffioul wrote:

| What do you mean with "behave differently". It's possible that it's the actual
| software running within the terminal is behaving differently, not QTerminal.
| For instance, readline library will behave differently based on the terminal
| it's running in. The problem is maybe more that QTerminal should redefine the
| TERM variable to match its own emulation.

Right, I was thinking that maybe qterminal was actually looking at the
value of TERM when it starts and deciding to emulate the type of
terminal found there.  But I haven't looked to see.  If that's not the
case, then I agree that it should set TERM to match it's
capabilities.  It doesn't make sense to me that it would accept
arbitrary TERM values and then emulate something else.