Re: UGLY_DEFS

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: UGLY_DEFS
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 18:33:30 -0500

On 03/01/2013 06:24 PM, Rik wrote:

I think we can and should get rid of OCTAVE_CONF_UGLY_DEFS.  The problem is
that there is a second usage of ${UGLY_DEFS} as a replacement for
OCTAVE_CONF_DEFS and octave_config_info ("DEFS") is used several times in
the code.  One example is

doc/interpreter/geometryimages.m:32:  if (isempty (findstr
(octave_config_info ("DEFS"), "HAVE_QHULL"))

Oh yeah, that problem. I thought there was something like that, but I didn't find it because I was searching for UGLY_DEFS and that only shows up in a few places. This indirect usage makes it hard to find. I think I once tried to remove it only to find that it was needed the way you describe.

So, eventually we need a permanent fix for this.

I'll think about it. Maybe there is something else we can do. We don't really need all of the HAVE_X things, right? I think we only need the ones that correspond to optional packages that Octave depends on.