Re: Octave & TopCoder

From: Clark Dunson
Subject: Re: Octave & TopCoder
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:56:49 -0700

Hey Jordi, thanks.

Their framework may need to support Octave, and so far no one I have talked to knows of any prior usage. What I will do is try to understand more details of their implementation during the coming months so I have something more concrete to add.

As an example, I cannot enter one whole family of our algorithms into the contest because of Mathworks $$$.  But I might try to do it in Octave.  I am not entirely familiar with how independently an executable can be built in Octave, but if it can be completely linked (unlike Mathworks), and depends only on libc, etc., I might be able to enter using Octave and a pre-compiled binary.

A contest is typically built in three phases:

1) Training.  Data is downloaded onto contestant's CPU, algorithm built and tested.
2) Testing.  Algorithm uploaded into TopCoder framework, run without contestant.
3) Scoring.  Ditto

2) & 3) might require matching ABI, this is the part I will try to figure out.  (June)

Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso <address@hidden> wrote:
On 14 March 2013 19:14, Clark Dunson <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems like a great match, Octave and TopCoder.  It could draw many more
> developers into TopCoder, while exposing Octave to some very interesting,
> and sometimes highly visible problem sets.

I don't get it. Whether someone decides to use Octave or not for their
contest, what does that have to do with us? Do we need to write some
code for them or something?

- Jordi G. H.