Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 25

From: Daniel J Sebald
Subject: Re: Octave-maintainers Digest, Vol 86, Issue 25
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 15:50:17 -0500

On 05/14/2013 03:38 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:
On 05/14/2013 04:26 PM, Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Is this the up-to-date repository code?

https://github.com/Amorph/scintilla/blob/master/lexers/LexMatlab.cxx

I don't see any keywords in there. Neither is there anything about color
and highlight info. The most I see pertains to documentation formatting.
Did the QScintilla folks just decide to add those keyword features
themselves instead of going back to the Scintilla source and maintain
that?

It looks like you found the scintilla editor sources, not the QScintilla
package.

In the QScintilla sources, the lexer files that contain the keyword info
are in the Qt3 subdirectory.

Qt4Qt5 is similar. But that's the issue. Any application that is using scintilla, but not QScintilla is then apparently not highlighting or whatever correctly because there are no keywords that route. Only through the QScintilla interface does one get keywords. As far as I understand right now.

For a stand-alone editor, a fixed list of keywords makes sense, I
suppose, though for something like Octave, you could possibly query
Octave for the most up to date list when the editor starts.

For an embedded editor, we could do better, by overloading the keyword
function with our own that calls Octave functions to get the keyword
lists. I'm not opposed to doing that, but the way it was done before
looked to me like the code in Octave was just a replacement for the code
that is now in QScintilla. Sorry if I was mistaken and removed it too
quickly.

The dynamic keyword assignment I'm all right with, but there really should be a means of setting that within QSci/scintilla. (Any hardcoding of keywords, though, should go back to the Scintilla source ideally.) My minor complaint is that unrelated to Octave code the QSci lexer has important info when it should just be a wrapper.

Dan