GUI file dialog freeze

From: Thorsten Liebig
Subject: GUI file dialog freeze
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:18:06 +0200

I have a strange problem with the Octave GUI on Kubuntu 13.04 and it already
existed on Kubuntu 12.10

If I want to open or save a file, the file dialog and Octave freezes.
At the same time I get this message in the Octave terminal:
"KGlobal::locale(): Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid
main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you
tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created.
You should not do that since it most likely will not work"
But this seems not necessarily related to the freeze (see below)

If I wait a couple of minutes, I get on the Octave terminal:
QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.
QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running.

After this two messages, I can browse the files normally and open/save.

But this two processes that got killed seem to be important, because after this
Octave behaves strange...
E.g.: Sometimes the entire GUI freezes or at least doesn't get updated if a
script is running...
If I'm patient again, I get again:
"QProcess: Destroyed while process is still running."
And the GUI unfreezes again...

I tried a fresh Kubuntu 13.04 on a virtual machine and did *not* see this
problems, except the "KGlobal::locale()..." message, but no freezes... :(
And to make this even more weird. I have been seeing this problem on my machine
at work for a long time (>half a year) but had no time to look closer,
but recently my home machine got infected as well :(

I have no idea how to debug this problem or what is causing it...

Does anybody else have this issues?
Any ideas?

Thorsten